Friday, January 2, 2009

Waterfall

On the 29th Lindsay and I along with Nigel's friends, decided to take a trip to the largest waterfall in India, Doodhsagar Waterfall. After a bit of negotiating, we took a taxi for the hour or so drive until we stopped at a corner and we were told we were there. We then had to get into a 4WD vehicle for another hour or so drive to the waterfall. It was a one lane, very bumpy road, as we drove over rocky red clay and even through streams to get there. The best part was when there was a car behind us that still wanted to pass...Goans will pass in any situation (I'll write more about the driving some other time). We saw tons of huge termite hills that really look more like sand castles and are actually pretty cool. And then there were the monkeys. There were monkeys everywhere and despite there being signs about not feeding the monkeys they also had people selling bags of food specifically for feeding monkeys. So like all good tourists, we fed them grapes and nuts and they'd come take it our of our hands or even catch them if we threw it.
When we finally got to the waterfall we were able to go swimming at the bottom and even go right underneath it. Although it's 310m high, since it's the dry season it doesn't really have that much water coming down so the pressure wasn't too much. It was still really loud though and not nearly as romantic as movies make waterfalls out to be. So I don't suggest planning a romantic swim under a waterfall. After our swim we got to be a little closer to nature than I would have liked when we saw a true Animal Planet moment....monkey sex. I say "moment" because it was literally about 5 seconds but it did make the monkeys seem a little less cute. I won't go into details but if you really want to know, you can ask me later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for indian monkey love. If only I had a dime for every time I've uttered those words...

Melanie said...

I guess you can check off "watch monkey porn" on your list of to-do's!