Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Why the title?


I stole this title from the Rufus Wainwright song, Oh What a World, that my sister put on a mixed CD for me.  Here's a section of the lyrics for those of you who aren't familiar with the song....

Why am I always on a plane or a fast train
Oh what a world my parents gave me
Always
Travelin' but not in love

Still I think I'm doin' fine
Wouldn't it be a lovely headline
Life is
Beautiful on a New York Times

This song always reminded me of Marcia (my sister) because she has done a lot of travelling and hadn't "settled down" like so many people seem to think should be the goal in life.  But she was still happy and enjoying her life, her way, and always came back with amazing stories and pictures. I guess she's been a pretty big inspiration to me, and her experiences have helped me find the confidence I needed to make the tough decisions I've made to get to this point.  I know I've walked away from my "settled down" life but I'm super happy and excited about what lies ahead and I feel ready to take on the good and the bad of travelling alone.  I will do my best to keep you all up to date on where I am and how things are going.  Please write me often because I know I'll miss home even when I'm on a beach in Thailand, at the Great Wall of China or on safari in Tanzania.....ok, maybe I won't miss home ALL the time.

3 comments:

Tessa Perry said...

Hey Megan,
Tessa Perry here. Just wanted to wish you Good Luck and Bon Voyage. When i was 18 i hit the road and hitch hiked around Europe for 3 months, played music on the street and lived in a tent, it was one of the best things i have ever done. Soak it up!
Much love and safe travels, Tessa

Melanie said...

Hey Meg,

We are so proud of you! Be safe and have the time of your life. We will miss you tons!

Love ya, the Armstrongs!

PS. Owen says I love you auntie Meghan. (Well he actually said arrraahhh, but I know that's what he meant.)

Azzy said...

you are going to remember this trip for the rest of your life. and when you get back...it's rooster time darlin first round is on me and you can make me all jealous of your adventures all night long :)
~Chantelle